THE CALAMITY IN MAKKAH – A TIME TO PONDER
BY MAZAAHIRUL ULOOM, SAHARANPUR, INDIA
The incident that occurred in the Haram of Makkah Mukarramah on Friday 11 September 2015 is most disturbing and heart-rending. May Allah Ta'aala forgive those who have lost their lives and grant complete recovery to those injured in this sad event, Aameen. However, the issue that needs to be pondered here is: Why did this calamity strike those people who were worshipping and engaging in Tawaaf of Baitullaah? Is it not that we are failing in the observance of the sanctity, etiquettes and respect of this most sacred sanctuary, due which this calamity has struck?
Nowadays in the noble sanctuary of Makkah Mukarramah, Madeenah Munawwarah and other sacred places there is a flood of photography and videography going on. Looking at the condition of the people at these sacred places, it seems as if they are not in the Haram of Makkah Mukarramah and Masjidun Nabawi (Sallallaahu 'Alayhi Wassalaam) but in some park or place of entertainment.
Newspapers, whatsapp and the media in general are cluttered with photos from these sacred places. This conveys the impression that people visit these sacred places only for these accursed acts (Na'oodhubillaah).
Committing such accursed acts in the Haramayn Shareefayn is without doubt (vile) acts of disrespect shown to these sacred places. Allah Ta'aalaa says in the Glorious Qur-aan,
“And who is more unjust than those who forbid that Allah’s Name be glorified and mentioned much (i.e. perform Salaat and Dua, etc.) in Allah's Musjid, and they strive for their ruin? It is not fitting that such people should enter (into Allah's Musjid) except fearfully. For them there is disgrace in this world, and they will have a great punishment in the Hereafter.” (Surah Baqarah)
From the abovementioned Aayat of the Qur’aan-e-Kareem we understand that Musjidul Haraam in Makkah Mukarramah, Musjidun Nabawi (Sallallaahu 'Alayhi Wassalaam) and other Musaajid must be entered with dignity, respect, awe and fear. To enter the Musaajid haughtily and slovenly in a disrespecting manner is utter oppression. Photography and videography (being major sins) in these sacred places are acts of the vilest form of disrespect and flagrant transgression.
Grave warnings of punishment have been sounded in the Hadeeth for defiling the sanctity, honour and respect of the sacred Haramayn Shareefayn. In a Hadeeth which has been narrated in Mishkaat Shareef, Hadhrat 'Ayyaash ibn abi Rabee'ah Makhzoomee (radhiyallaahu 'anhu) states that Rasulullaah (Sallallaahu 'Alayhi Wassalaam) said:
“This Ummah will remain with goodness as long as it continues to maintain this sanctity (i.e. the sanctity of Makkah Mukarramah and its Haram) as it has to be observed, and when people will forsake this sanctity and discard it, then they will be destroyed.” (Mazaahirul Haqq)
Based on the above Hadeeth we request with due respect that all the people residing there in the Haram, and those visiting these sacred places should safeguard themselves from the Wrath of Allah Ta'aalaa. They should desist from creating means for their destruction which come in the wake of defiling the sanctity and respect of these holiest of Places. Abstain from all futile, accursed sinful acts thus maintaining the honour and dignity of these Sanctuaries.
FURTHER COMMENT BY A MUFTI
• Let us understand this very important point that in these sacred places just as the reward of virtuous act is multiplied manifold, the same is the case with sinful acts. The consequences (the punishments) are more severe.
• Muslims should bear in mind that through this long corridor of Islam's fourteen centuries, the Fuqaha of Islam - the great and noble Representative of Rasulullah (Sallallaahu 'Alayhi Wassalaam) – have issued a unanimous verdict on this question of picture-making, viz. Pictures are Haraam.
• As far as digital photography is concerned, there are no valid grounds to prove its permissibility, neither from the Qur’aan and Hadith nor from the four Imaams of Fiqh. Instead, the general Ahaadith, Mazhabs of Sahaabah, Taabi’een and the four Imaams are general regarding the prohibition of all picture making, that is, all pictures of animate objects are haraam.
• Bear in mind that a sin remains a sin in all conditions even if the whole world is soiled in it. When a sin becomes universal, then its misfortune and evil also become universal although every person is liable for his own deeds. The appearance of some 'Ulama on television does not halaalize it. The Imaam of the Haram shown on television to perform Taraaweeh does not halaalize it. It is not proof for its permissibility.
• Finally let us conclude the topic with the grave warning of Rasulullaah (Sallallaahu 'Alayhi Wassalaam) narrated in Bukhaari Shareef and Muslim Shareef for the photographers & videographers of animate objects:
“Those involved in picture-making will be subjected to the worst forms of punishment on the day of Qiyaamat.” May Allah Ta'aalaa guide us all and keep us steadfast on the Haqq, Aameen
1 Zul Hajj 1436 -- 15 September 2015
|< Prev||Next >|